Monday, November 4, 2013

How To Read Your Child's Progress Report!

SO...I am finally finished with the Progress Reports and you can find it in your child's backpack today (if you haven't seen it already)!

COPIES:

   In order to cut down on paper  and ink, I did not make copies. If you would like a copy, you are welcome to make one on your own or if you don't have resources to do so, just send me a note and I will make copies for you here at school.

Please be sure to return everything to me so that I can keep them in a cumulative file! You will receive the whole file at year's end.  Here's a list of what I need back:

1. The progress report. (It has lots of yellow highlighted standards)
2. The writing sample and rubric
3. Speicals PR's
4. French PR

HOW I ASSESSED:

  I highlighted all of the standards we have worked on this semester. Some have been explicitly covered and others have been touched upon or are part of ongoing 3rd grade skills. I used the math assessments, math journals, reading journals, writing journals, observations, classroom discussions, running records, spelling assessments and one on one discussions to determine your child's level of understanding/mastery for each standard. This was no small task!

  Since I am so accustomed to using grades and a grade book, I  had to shift my paradigm and really study your children! Generally if I noticed your child exhibiting a particular skill in one of the above mentioned journals or assessments, I checked off the "meets" category. In truth, some of your children were in between approaches and meets for some areas. For example, many students exhibited skills in writing but can always improve as it is a complex process.

   Having said that, I am thinking about creating an assessment, or skills, rubric to help me "test" each child in certain areas. As your child progresses in math, reading, listening and speaking, you will see their "approaches" turn to "meets". For Science and SS this may not be the case since we only have time to cover each of the standards once before the DREADED CRCT! :) I think I will try and create a yearlong jeopardy game or allow students to complete research projects on their areas of "approaches" or "does not meet" so that they have the chance to learn more about that particular subject area.

Please email me with any questions or comments you may have! Thanks so much for being the BEST parents in the world. YOUR KIDS ARE BRILLIANT AND AMAZING! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment