Thursday, September 3, 2015

Happy September !

Hello Friends,
 It has been a fun week filled with an exciting walking field trip to the Decatur Book Festival for a presentation by Holly Goldberg Sloan! She will be talking about her book Appleblossom the Possum. 


***If you are planning to walk with us please come to Westchester at 9:30 for our departure at 9:45!! All are welcome to join us! 


Other info:
*Map testing is over for our fall session. 
*  I'm almost finished with data collection so I can share all of this information with you at our parent-teacher conferences. 
* I will be sending a Sign-Up Genius link via email (& I'll post it here) on September 8th. If you don't see a time that is convenient for you, please email me directly and I will do my best to add a slot to accommodate you. :)


THIS WEEK IN 212

Science:  
You may have noticed that the students have been working in collaborative groups to create google slides for their Georgia Habitats jigsaw project! They will be teaching their habitat features to one another and I will post the slides on the blog as well.  I am also hoping to SKYPE with another 3rd grade classroom and share our work on the Georgia Habitats with them. 
***I know the super nice Principal from GLOBE and I am hoping she will allow us to set up a class share***** :)

I have been watching the slide progress from home and I am enjoying the constructive critiques the children are sending to one another. I think they love the 'comment' feature of Google slides! I will use this as a tool frequently this year to promote the implementation of peer feedback and suggestions. 


Reading:
  We are continuing to "Build A Reading Life" by learning about self-assessment, setting new goals, and choosing reading partners. We will start Buddy Reading with Mrs. Wertz's Kindergarten class after the break. We have discussed the characteristics of a good reading partner in the classroom and drafted questions for reading interviews. Tomorrow the children will invite a friend to be their reading partner. Here are some photos of the interview process. 


Math: We are finishing place value, rounding and decomposing numbers. Next week we will start MULTIPLICATION!! :)

Recess: Sand Volcanoes....

                                  It's going to be an amazing year!! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment