Thursday, November 7, 2013

Très Important



                            Hello! It's time to give you some important info and updates! 

WHERE THE MOUNTAIN MEETS THE MOON: I am sending home a book order form for the school-wide book club book. It is $10. I will be reading it to the students and incorporating it into our curriculum, but if your child wants one, they can always read along with me!

PROGRESS REPORTS:
  Please  be sure to return ALL PROGRESS REPORTS IN THE PURPLE FOLDER to me. I can make you a copy if you request one. I still have a few still out there floating around and my TYPE A personality is making me worry that some will get lost! :) You can keep the Science Project and SS Historical Figures Projects. I need everything else. You will receive all of it back at the end of the year. 


FRENCH:
  Please see Mademoiselle Buntin's Blog for info on French updates! 

http://nbuntin.weebly.com/les-eacutetoiles.html

Her 11/4/13 post says:
Hello Parents,

This week we will be working on house vocabulary.  Some of the words that your child will be learning are:  la maison = house, la chambre = bedroom, le salon = living room, la cuisine = kitchen, la salle de bain = bathroom.  Have fun with your child by saying each room in French!  Par exemple, voici la chambre = here is the bedroom.  As a culminating activity we will be making shoe box houses.  We will need a shoe box or a small box 

NEW MATH SERIES:
  I'm going to spend most of my time tomorrow looking over the new series so that I can use it to its fullest! You may have noticed that different math HW sheets have been coming home. We have a consumable "HOME LINKS" book for each child, so even though it is sort of easy for the kids, I don't want to waste the resource. We are going deeper than the practice your child is bringing home. Having said that, your child should be able to complete his/her HW easily and independently. They should also use this HW as a practice in following the directions and answering the questions in sentence form with appropriate grammar and writing conventions.  

CURRICULUM:
Math: Multiplication and Division, word problems, problem solving
Reviewing: Addition/Subtraction with re-grouping, place value
RLA: Figurative Language (idioms, metaphors,similes,onomatopoeia, alliterations, hyperbole) and SPELLING CENTERS!!!
reviewing: pronouns, sub/verb agreement, prefix,suffix, root words
Reading: Cause and Effect Relationships, Non-Fiction Text Structure
Reviewing: Characterization, Inference, Setting, Author's Purpose
Writing: Research Reports (Student interest driven)
Social Studies: Ancient Greek Civilization, Roots of Democracy
Science: Magnets

REQUESTS:
  Please send in any books about Ancient Greece or the Olympics that you may have for unit of study. We will be conducting research about the early forms of government and comparing the structure to our government today. There will be a really fun project to culminate our learning.....more to come on that! 


LUCY CALKINS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT:
       I will be missing my first and second day of school next week (Nov. 14-15) to attend the Writing Seminar in Jacksonville, Florida! I will leave very detailed and precise lesson plans with the sub and hopefully I will be able to talk with him or her before I go. (I am way too Type A to leave my children with others....I'm really working on that about myself!!) Having said that, I will miss the Fun Run, so if any of y'all would like to come and help out on Thursday, I'd really appreciate it! It starts at 10 am. Look for more info in the Globe Gazette or next week on the blog! 

Finally...Here are some photos :
New Boards are here and will be installed tomorrow! YAAAY! Thank you so much!




We used our front board space to write our research project interests!!
Here is what your kids are interested in learning about! 





Have a Great Weekend! 




No comments:

Post a Comment